Christian Museum

from April 1, 2023
OPEN 10:00 – 18:00
Monday: CLOSED

Individual admission (adult): HUF 1.500
Discounted individual entry (students, pensioners): HUF 750
Group members of more than 15 people: HUF 1.200
Student and pensioner groups of more than 15 people: HUF 600
Family ticket (Two adults and 2-5 children): HUF 3.000

The Christian Museum in Esztergom is Hungary’s richest church collection, which can be viewed on the second floor of the Primate’s Palace. The Christian Museum operates the All Saints memorial located in the basilica and has exhibition spaces on the floor of the Old Seminary, where a permanent exhibition of modern works of art is planned.
The museum was founded by Archbishop János Simor (1813–1891) of Esztergom, Prince Primate, when he created his private collection in the Primate’s palace. His goal was to make Esztergom a rich cultural center. He monitored foreign auctions and placed orders with artists. On October 12, 1875, the Primate Picture and Etching Gallery was opened from the huge private collection created with 206 medieval and 19th century paintings. In 1878, Simor bought the Bertinelli collection of 60 pieces for 42,000 lire. The exhibition moved to its current location in 1882. It was named Christian Museum when Simor set it up in 1887.
After Simor’s death, the art treasures went to the Cathedral. The collection was significantly expanded under the primacy of János Cernoch. In January 1919, the Ipolyi collection from Nagyvárad was brought to Esztergom, and the museum also grew from donations. After the second World War, the museum was not nationalized, but it was placed under the administration of the Bálint Balassa Museum in 1952. The exhibition was rearranged in 1954, and temporary exhibitions have been available since 1955. In 1982, Cardinal László Lékai provided with three more rooms on the ground floor of the palace for temporary exhibitions.

The museum’s collection includes the country’s third most important painting collection, with Hungarian, Italian, Dutch, German and Austrian paintings. In addition to the late medieval works, such as the Calvary Altar of Tamás from Kolozsvár, the Lord’s Coffin from Garamszentbenedek or the Passion Pictures of Master MS, their modern painting, applied arts and graphic materials, which consist of more than 5,000 sheets, are also significant. Their permanent exhibition can be seen on the second floor of the Primate’s Palace.

TIP

After visiting the museum, you can have rest in the beautiful Elizabeth park, which is very close, and the Castle Hill which is also only a few minutes away, via the renovated Cat Steps.

Skip to content