Sátorkőpuszta Cave

The Tent Stone Wasteland cave opens from the rocky side of the Big Guard Hill. It is possible to approach the cave via a 1.5 km long path starting across from the landfill located along road 117. On visit days, the organizers provide the route with clearly visible markings.

The cave was discovered in 1946 during quarrying. Covered with gypsum and calcite crystals, its interlocking niche system was formed by cave formation of thermal water origin. Thanks to the geological publications of László Jakus and István Venkovits, the cave quickly gained enormous popularity. Researchers, mineral collectors and treasure hunters have taken them and damaged caves formations.

In 1958, members of the Kadić Ottokár Cave Research Group from Dorog, under the leadership of Benedek Endre, chief mining engineer, took over the cave. They carried out their research work with hard physical work, often relying on their intuition. The known routes were expanded with new sections and great attention was paid to prevent further damage to the formations.

Their work was continued by the Benedek Endre Cave Explorer and Nature Conservation Association (BEBTE), founded in 1989. Along with conservation, the main role was played by the tourist presentation of the cave, naturally, in addition to research motivated by discovery and the cleaning of damaged parts. In 2012, because of a series of scientific investigations, the Pentecostal branch, richly decorated with thermal water formations (gypsum, calcite, and aragonite crystals), was discovered.

The Tent Stone Wasteland cave has been available to the public as a tourist cave since 1993. BEBTE’s experienced tour guides lead nearly 600 people through the zigzag corridors of the cave every year.


The Tent Stone Wasteland cave was included in the Komárom-Esztergom County Treasures in 2019, and in the same year, it won the title of one of the “7 Wonders of Komárom-Esztergom County” in the public vote of the county daily.


Skip to content